Saturday, January 3, 2015

* indigo-go *

Greetings from a rather chilly, snowy Brooklyn. Slobby Saturday has kicked in with some good old British bacon and eggs sizzling away courtesy of my hungry husband. Other weekend plans include checking out the ice skating at Central Park and pulling together some ideas for my first guest blog post for the wonderful Ivy Pip & Rose..I'll keep you posted on that one!

The new year has begun and thoughts turn to making the nest even cosier and homey {not homely, as we would say in Blighty; here that means something ugly or unsightly! I learnt the hard way by complementing a new acquaintance on her 'homely' apartment. We haven't been back}. At this time of year when the silver light makes black look too harsh and grey look a little drab, the majestic indigo kicks in as my colour of choice. Ever since travelling in 2010 to Abeokuta in Nigeria and watching the distinctive Adire fabric being created, I've had a love affair with the depth of tone that can be achieved with indigo. The Japanese Shibori fabric is everywhere and makes for a perfect DIY project {there is a great tutorial on Design Sponge: Shibori Designs 4 Ways}. I'd love to grab some paint and slosh it behind my mustard coloured loveseat, but that might not please the landlord too much. In the meantime, I've gathered a few inspiring ideas and do let me know how you use indigo in your home! 

:: all photos copyrighted, see the links below for more details :: 

{top left: Shibori kitchen towels from ShopDEND; top middle: mix up your fabrics in the bedroom like this masterpiece in Marrakesh; top right: sleep deeply by painting the bedroom walls in a deep indigo just like Lesley Graham; bottom left: from sfgirlbybay, various tones together looks classic and fresh against a white wall; bottom middle: pops of indigo look warm in the living space as seen in Domino; bottom right: I am madly, deeply, desperately in love with these ceramics from Michele Michael at Elephant Ceramics and I love the Marimekko fabric too!} 

1 comment:

  1. I live for color in winter...and I absolutely love the feeling that comes over me as I read through the pages of this blog...please keep posting.

    ReplyDelete

Yes...is your hand up? Yes, you over there....